Autism Queensland Cairns is located at Edmonton, Cairns. Our specialist therapy and teaching team provide the following services for individuals on the autism spectrum and their families living in Cairns, Atherton, Innisfail, Weipa and surrounding areas.
- EarlyAQtion Kindi
- Groups for Children and Adolescents (7-17 years)
- Individual Therapy (all ages)
- Allied Health & Diagnostic Assessments
- School Advisory Service
- Autism Queensland School (Prep – Year 3)
The following services are also available:
Autism Queensland is a registered provider of NDIS supports.
EARLYAQTION EARLY CHILDHOOD SERVICES
EarlyAQtion Kindi supports children up to school entry age to develop the skills necessary for successful participation in-home and community life and transition into the next stage of their education.
These are small group programs, with 4 to 12 children in each group, depending on the needs of the children and centre facilities.
The program is holistic, family-focused and transdisciplinary, with all areas of your child’s life being addressed and with all staff having expertise and input across all areas of functioning.
Staffing varies according to the number and support needs of children in the group:
- There is at least one professional (Occupational Therapist, Teacher or Speech Pathologist) who is the Group Leader (Key Worker).
- Each group has at least two Program Assistants.
- Weekly support from one or more other professionals (Occupational Therapist, Teacher, Psychologist or Speech Pathologist) occurs depending on the support needs of the children in the group.
- Recognises the specific needs of young children on the autism spectrum
- Recognises parents are crucial members of the team who will help your child achieve success
- Uses the child’s individual strengths and interests to motivate learning and develop skills
- Teaches your child skills that are meaningful and useful
- Utilises a positive approach to behaviour support that focuses on understanding the reasons for undesirable behaviour.
For more information about accessing a place for your child, fees, NDIS funding etc please complete the service request form.
Please note: Autism Queensland group fees are charged under the Capacity Building – Improved Daily Living section of your NDIS Plan. If you do not have funding in this specific Support Category, please discuss with your NDIS Local Area Coordinator or phone the NDIS on 1800 800 110.
NB: A waitlist may apply to some groups.
B-ME Club (12-15 & 15-17 years)
Individuals on the autism spectrum are invited to join our autism specialists for 10 weeks of self-discovery and learning. Participants will have the opportunity to develop new friendships in a safe environment, understand body changes and how to look after themselves (e.g. beauty, routines, puberty and hygiene) and learn about cyber safety.
Sessions are held weekly during school terms.
Gamers Club - for Minecraft Extraordinaires
This exciting and fun-filled Minecraft® themed program aims to develop the social skills of children on the autism spectrum aged 8-10 & 11-13 years. During the 8-week program, children will have the opportunity to make connections with others through shared interests, engage in social interactions through structured and unstructured activities, increase their participation in group activities and learn to understand the perspective of others.
Movie Club (12-14 & 14-17 years)
A group for teenagers on the autism spectrum (12-14 & 14-17 years) who enjoy movies and would benefit from practicing their social skills in a small group setting. The group provides a friendly and supportive environment in which participants will enjoy movies together and then join in group discussions and activities around social skills.
Social Skills Group
Week-long, small group sessions for children aged 5–17 years that focuses on using the group environment to teach and reinforce a range of social skills including coping with stress and frustration, communicating and making friends. Children are grouped according to age, skills and individual goals.
A group to develop the social and cooperative teamwork skills of children aged 7-10 years.