Survey for educational support and service needs of children, adolescents and adults on the autism spectrum and their families
This project is being conducted by Autism Queensland’s Research & Business Development team led by our Key Researcher, Dr Jill Ashburner, in collaboration with researchers from The University of Queensland and Queensland University of Technology.
What is the study about?
This project aims to gather detailed information about the educational support and service needs of individuals on the autism spectrum and their families, including their interest in receiving services and feedback on existing Autism Queensland services. This information will help Autism Queensland, and other organisations, plan future services and ensure that the needs of people on the spectrum and their families are met.
Are you an adult on the spectrum? Are you the parent/caregiver of an individual on the spectrum (of any age)? We want you to HAVE YOUR SAY!
What is involved?
If you participate, you will complete an anonymous online survey (which should take no longer than 45-60 minutes) that will gather the following information:
- Background information about you
- Background information about your son/daughter (only if you are a parent/caregiver)
- Your support and service needs in various areas (e.g., social, educational, vocational, family)
- Your interest in receiving services and what you consider important when choosing services
- Feedback on Autism Queensland services (if you have accessed them before)
The survey is completely voluntary and you are free to stop the survey at any stage without consequence and without it impacting on your ability to access and receive services.
Would you like to participate?
Make sure you have read and understood the Participant Information Sheet (click here to read) before deciding to participate. We have developed five versions of the online survey to make sure the questions are relevant to you. If you would like to participate, please click on the relevant survey:
- Adults on the spectrum - please complete this survey if you are an individual on the autism spectrum aged 18 years or over.
- Parents/caregivers of children who have not yet started school - please complete this survey if you are the parent/caregiver of a child on the autism spectrum who has not yet started school (approximately aged 4.5 years or under).
- Parents/caregivers of primary school aged children including prep students - please complete this survey if you are the parent/caregiver of a primary school aged child on the autism spectrum (approximately aged 5 to 11 years).
- Parents/caregivers of secondary school aged children - please complete this survey if you are the parent/caregiver of a secondary school aged child on the autism spectrum (approximately aged 12 to 17 years).
- Parents/caregivers of adolescents or adults who have left school - please complete this survey if you are the parent/caregiver of an adolescent or adult on the autism spectrum who has left school.
Please complete a separate survey about each of your children if you are the parent/caregiver of more than one child on the spectrum, even if they are in the same age group.
Participants can enter a draw for the chance to win one of ten $50 Gift Cards (winner’s choice of Coles Group & Myer or Footprint Books). Competition closes Friday, 12 January 2018 and winners will be notified by Friday, 19 January 2018.
Thank you for your interest in this study.
If you have any questions about this study, please feel free to get in touch:
Dr Jill Ashburner | Manager Research and Business Development
Natasha Bobir | Research Officer
Stephanie Callaghan | Research Assistant
P. 07 3273 0000