Autism Queensland and the NDIS
What is the NDIS?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will provide support for eligible Australians up to age 65 who are living with a permanent and significant disability. The official rollout of the NDIS in Queensland began on July 1, 2016 and will take place progressively over three years. Read more ►
Individuals who are eligible for NDIS and who live in an LGA (local government area) where the NDIS is currently available will receive supports which may include funding following an assessment of their needs in a process managed by the National Disability Insurance Agency.
Autism Queensland is registered with the NDIS to provide services in the following support clusters that may be available to individual participants:
- Accommodation/Tenancy assistance
- Assistance to access and maintain employment
- Assistance in coordinating or managing life stages, transitions and supports
- Assistance to integrate into school or other educational program
- Assistance with daily personal activities
- Assistance with daily life tasks in a group or shared living arrangement
- Assistance with travel/transport arrangements
- Assistive technology specialist assessment, set up and training
- Behaviour support
- Communication and information equipment
- Development of daily living and life skills
- Early intervention supports for early childhood
- Participation in community, social and civic activities
- Physical wellbeing activities
- Management of funding for supports in a participant's plan
- Specialised assessment of skills, abilities and needs
- Therapeutic supports
- Training for independence in travel and transport.
If you live in an area that will soon transition to the NDIS (click here to see the rollout schedule), Autism Queensland is scheduling information sessions for individuals registered with us and their families so that when the National Disability Insurance Agency does make contact, you can feel more prepared and aware of the supports you might like to request for yourself/your family members with ASD. Please email if you are interested in taking up this offer.
The NDIS is administered by the National Disability Insurance Agency. For all information about accessing the NDIS please visit this website or call 1800 800 110.